SSC CGL GENERAL INTELLIGENCE: NETWORK TOPOLOGY & NETWORKING DEVICES (LECTURE 2)
The geometric arrangement of a computer system. Each computer system in a topology is known as a node.
TYPES OF NETWORK TOPOLOGY
Bus Topology: Single line to which all nodes are connected and the nodes connect only to this bus.
Mesh Topology: At least two nodes with two or more paths between them.
Ring Topology: Every node has exactly two branches connected to it. The ring is broken and cannot work if one of the nodes on the ring fails.
Star Topology: The peripheral nodes are connected to a central node, which rebroadcasts all transmissions received from any peripheral node to all peripheral nodes on the network, including the originating node.
Tree Topology: Nodes’ are arranged as a tree. The function of the central node in this topology may be distributed.
NETWORK SECURITY AND HACKING
- Network Interface Card (NIC)– Physical connection between networking cables and computer’s internal bus is provided by NIC Card
- Repeater- Electronic device that amplifies the signal it receives. It receives a signal and retransmits it at a higher level or higher power so that the signal can cover longer distances.
- Hubs- Forwards the data packets to all of its ports connected to.
- Bridges– Connects two sub-networks as a part of the same network.
- Switch– filtering and forwarding of data packets.
- Router– Connects two sub-networks as a part of the same network
- Gateway– Entrance between two network
- Ethernet– LAN Technology which strikes a good balance between speed & cost.
- MoDem- Modulates and demodulates the signal between the digital data of a computer and the analog signal of a telephone line.
- Fibre Distributed Data Interface (FDDI)- Form of network configuration which uses ring topology of multimedia
COMPUTER NETWORK & TYPES (LECTURE 1)
- OSI (OPEN SYSTEM INTERCONNECTION)
- TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol)
Students, please learn them before exams. We will be covering another important topic in next article. Stay Updated with Kailasha Foundation. You can also tell us if you want us to cover any specific topics or subjects.
SOURCE: Based on Self-Knowledge
IMAGE SOURCE: Google